Whether you’re an ice cream connoisseur or not, matcha ice cream should be top of the list for flavours to try.
Apart from being quick and easy to make, matcha ice cream has a delicate texture which adds to the unique taste when compared to traditional ice cream recipes. Try this recipe and see how to combine a creamy essence with matcha’s unmistakable flavour.
Matcha ice cream has grown so much in popularity in the last years that even supermarkets start to sell green tea ice cream.
The matcha ice cream can be consumed naturally or easily topped off with some chocolate sauce. If you choose the chocolate route, go for a quality brand chocolate that’s not too sweet. Go for either milk chocolate with above 30% cocoa, or try dark chocolate. Both work well – too much sweetness tends to bump away the real flavours.
- Ice cream maker
- Medium saucepan
- 240 ml whole milk
- 240 ml whipping cream butterfat 36-38%
- 3 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 100 gram cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- Pinch salt
- Take a medium-sized saucepan, blend the whole milk while beating cream, sugar and salt together.
- Cook this mixture at medium heat, shake and cook until this combination starts taking the shape of foam. It should be too hot to touch, but not boiled.
- Pick up the pan from the heat, and hold it away for around minute, until the temperature drops to 80 degrees. Strain the green matcha powder and put it into the mixture.
- Cool it down until it reaches the room temperature, cover and then chill in the fridge for 2–3 hours.
- As soon as it is chilled, churn it for 20–25 minutes and move the ice cream into an airtight container. Then, freeze for 2–3 hours before serving.